Thursday, February 5, 2009

Gulu Town

So we arrived in Gulu Town yesterday and it seemed like a pretty small town, until we went exploring today. In pairs we were sent out to find out information about the area so Monica and I had to learn about the hospitals in the area and luckily there are some nice ones because the first one we went into was super sketch. But we met this nice man Okot who helped us find lunch and took us to the nicer hospital, which happens to be in the area of town where I am living. It looks pretty nice...I am not sure what I expected it to be but I did see water towers near most of the houses so it seems likely that I will have running water. It is pretty weird not having any clue where I am and having to depend on people who don't even speak the same language as me.

Speaking of language, I started my Acholi lessons today and as much as I don't do well with languages it should be much easier to learn when I don't have much of a choice. Especially when I move in with my host family on Sunday. Let's see what else is happening...I start classes on Monday and I am still trying to come up with ideas for my research. Today we talked to an NGO that works with street children so that is an option. The only narrowing down I have done is to decide that I want to work with children. What I really want to do is to see how those who were orphaned during conflict have raised the next generation of children. But I am not sure how that would work out logistically and what kind of connections I would need to set up to make that work.

Other than that life here is great and I am so excited to experience more of Gulu.

1 comment:

  1. ahhh so jealous.... did you get number yet? Be sure to go to the nice hospital if you get hurt. Infections spread quickly. And could you send me a coke in a bottle? you know they always taste better when it is from a different country

    ReplyDelete